Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Control

Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant and cut off his right ear.  (The servant's name was Malchus.)  So Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword into its sheath; shall I not drink the cup that the Father has given me?"
--John 18:10-11

A lot of times in my life, I've thought, "Let me help you out God.  Let me do this."  ....like God really needs my help.  I, a human being, with finite knowledge and wisdom, so often think that I know what is best, when, in all actuality, only God knows.  I only know what I have gone through and what I am presently going through.  There is no way that I am able to truly figure out what is best for me and for the Kingdom.  My thinking would have been exactly like Peter's, just thinking of the immediate circumstances.  But God was thinking of eternity; if Jesus didn't die, then people would never be able to experience intimate fellowship with Him.  Similarly, in our lives, we only see the immediate, surrounding circumstances and desire to be brought out of them, when in reality, God may be doing great things in our hearts and in the kingdom through us, if only we'd relinquish control and willingly drink the cup that God has given to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment